March 23, 2009

Can we say technology at its best yet?

Last week I came across two really fantastic videos.
The first one is called World Builder, an amazing short movie by Bruce Branit "in which a man uses holographic tools to create a virtual world for a woman he loves". Supposedly, the filming of the movie was completed in 1 day, but the post production computer graphics took two years! I was amazed at what you can do with all the animation tools you have today. I must say the programmers who write such software have to be just too good. Watch the video in high quality...


Now, the second video is about REAL world and it is about something which makes you say "I cant believe it!". The Sixth Sense, as it is called, is a device that comes real close to equip you with exactly that. Yes! I too did not believe it when I looked at the title of the video, but the video itself left me in such awe, that my jaws literally dropped on looking at this technological marvel. This is one of those things you watch in 'high-tech' (the 'high' has to be relative to the current times) movies and makes you think 'I wish I had one of those'. This gadget was unveiled at one of the TED talks in Feb 2009 and was supposedly one of the most hyped about. There has to be something in the device which prompted everyone in the audience to give a standing ovation to Mr. Pranav Mistry, the guy in charge of the project. Watch the video to know what that was...



For a computer engineer and a tech enthusiast like me, it is natural to get excited about such things. I am sure most of us would have a basic idea as to how it should work, but how many us would have confidently said - yes! such a thing is possible!-before watching this video? Not many, I would say. Moreover, it is about DOING and not just saying that it can be done. Hats off to Pranav!

1 comment:

broca's area said...

i liked this v too..!!..:)

 
Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog